Frequently Asked Questions - Q1


Question:

Precisely what is this proposed charter amendment about?

Answer:

Simply stated, it merely requires that Houstonians be allowed to vote before city council adopts a budget that will increase the city’s total revenues (property taxes, water and sewer charges, or other means) at an overall rate that will exceed the combined growth rates of population and inflation. For example, if the City’s population increased 2% and inflation increased 3% in a given year, then the City could increase its total revenues by the combined 5% for the following year without having to obtain voter prior approval. Houston individuals and businesses are forced to live within their normal financial means. If the City should wish to operate in a less fiscally responsible manner than that with the people’s money, then we believe it only fair that the people get the right to vote on permitting the City to do so.



Back to the FAQ page

Back to the main page